Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Can You Feel My Pain?


This self-portrait’s purpose is to illustrate the last week or so. I’ve lost track of time. It has been hard to count the days since the Pain Demon came for an extended stay. The worst thing is that I’m now behind on work so my posts will be sparse. Fortunately it’s only been about a week. I’ve got the demon on the run now but I wish I knew what caused him to appear so I could avoid it in the future.

The drawing is a bit comical. I did a serious version but that one seemed to be soliciting pity a bit too much. Besides, now that I’m on the mend, I can laugh at it.

At the same time the evil little imp arrived a glacier moved across the land here. No, not snow, that’s not such a big deal. It was a rigid blanket of über-sleet. Before it could be shoveled it had to be broken up into movable chunks.


My wife says the character in the drawing doesn’t look like me but I told her it’s not that kind of portrait. It’s the inner me. Yuck!

Oh, how do I have time to draw this when I’ve gotten behind on paying work? I needed the catharsis. My pain put to paper.

11 Comments:

Blogger BoneDaddy said...

If you gotta do a self-portrait, it's a hell of a way to do it!

11:44 PM  
Blogger Mark Reep said...

'Pain put to paper'- Great line. Glad you're on the mend!

10:46 AM  
Blogger Tom Kidd said...

Thanks guys. It's good to be among the living again. By the way, this drawing is pretty small. The close-ups are four times bigger than the sketch. I thought it might be interesting to see it under a magnifying glass. Of course this drawing doesn't compare to Mark's diminutive pictures.

12:05 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Got a good laugh at this one - thanks!
Do you usually draw so small? I ask alot of questions :(

4:30 PM  
Blogger tlchang said...

So sorry that you've been painfully out of commission. Hope you continue to recover - and quickly!

10:59 PM  
Blogger Tom Kidd said...

Scott, my drawings tend to fill the page or extend beyond it. This one came out small on the page for some reason. Narrowed vision maybe.

Thanks Tara, I had a bit of a relapse but I think I've figured this thing out. It was a very new experience for me. I'm better with maladies I'm familiar with. The main thing is that I'm catching up on work now. That's a good feeling.

11:11 PM  
Blogger tlchang said...

I'm glad to hear you are recovering. And am looking forward to seeing my subconscious Rorschach images showing up elsewhere. :-)

1:47 AM  
Blogger william wray said...

Sorry about the pain, but it made for a great drawing... reminds me of Hinrich Kelly a we bit-- He like tortured subjects.

1:15 AM  
Blogger Jennifer McChristian said...

Glad to hear you are on the mend and the demon is at bay.
Fantastic drawing!

3:43 AM  
Blogger cindy said...

hi tom, hope your 'pain demon' stays away! the head pain is the worst! thanks for leaving me a comment at my site!

12:16 PM  
Blogger Andrew Glazebrook said...

Top notch work man !

11:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home