Friday, February 09, 2007

Me and My Big Ideas


A while back a book company contacted me and asked me if I’d do covers for three books for them that would be a trilogy. I suggested I do one long painting and it would be turned into three covers. The editor said that that was a cool idea. I was going to do it all at once but the deadline got tight and I was only able to finish a little more than a third before the first cover was due. It’s been a few months now and the publisher hasn’t asked for the next cover. I’ve got a partially finished painting and someone who saw the cover now wants to buy it. Right now I’m doing other work with tighter deadlines. At some point I’ll have the time to finish it up. If I’d done just one painting for each book I’d have already sold one of them. Above is the third I have. Me and my big ideas!!


The title of the books is “Majestrum” and it is by Matthew Hughes.

3 Comments:

Blogger BoneDaddy said...

I love the structural work. It reminds me of some of the background stuff I've seen in Heavy Metal.

10:06 PM  
Blogger Mike Dutton said...

Lovely, lovely work, Tom. I also enjoyed reading about your drawing methods and habits, such as how you store and file your sketches and come back to them later. This last piece has such a wonderful feel to it. Although nothing overly dramatic is happening, it gives me such an exciting feeling; like I really want to dive into that world. Those are always the best illustrations!

4:28 PM  
Blogger Drazen said...

lovely painting
great architecture and mood.
I guess you're lucky it was only a trilogy! :-)

7:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home