Sunday, April 15, 2007

Battleship!



Because I've done a few airship paintings people occasionally ask me to design some for them. My airships for Gnemo are based on what would be plausible for the level of technology of that world but with the expectations that that world, although obeying the same physics as ours, would still be different. For example they might have access to a strong lightweight material that is more difficult or too expensive to acquire on our planet.

However, when someone else ask me to design something they have their own rules. Sometimes the parameters are wider and sometimes they're narrower. Giant ironclad aircraft carrying battle-airships seem pretty impossible to me. I can't come up with a plausible explanation for it but then I avoid changing physical laws unless I call it magic. Because of that these airships could never fly in the world I invented. Actually, they won't fly anywhere because they weren't quite right. These were just quick sketches to see if I understood what was wanted. I didn't. (And that's why I can show them to you.) I was thinking too big.

Speaking of Gnemo, I've got a new post there. It's a bit more finished than this drawing: Gnemo's Sketchbook

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger George Cwirko-Godycki said...

thanks for visiting my blog and saying nice things!i have your book and only found your blog the other day and was very excited!

i like the bottom one the most although the front of the top one is a more interesting shape i think, but i just really like the tail of that bottom one

9:07 PM  
Blogger Marco Bucci said...

Real nice perspective on these complicated ships. And I especially love that bushy-browed painter below!

11:38 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

these are great designs! amazing range you have. Most inspirational

12:00 AM  
Blogger BoneDaddy said...

These have a great sense of structure! I don't know if that part was easy for you, but I for the life of me find it damn near impossible to get something like a car or house to look as structurally sound as I want it, so when someone else is able to do it, I see it as a big accomplishment.

5:07 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

wow great stuff, you got some aswome stuff on your blog!

9:51 PM  
Blogger Ryan Khatam said...

youve got some pretty amazing work on this blog!

12:18 AM  
Blogger Mark Reep said...

These make me think of William Gibson's 'Gernsback Continuum'. If our world, or our dreams, or both had continued to evolve differently, Howard Hughes might have built one of these, and Bruce Dickinson might be piloting one in his off time...

12:21 PM  
Blogger Tom Kidd said...

Mark, you've just given me an idea for a painting or, maybe a dozen! Thanks.

Thanks to Aaron and Ryan. It's nice to get some young folk visiting. Expect me to come by your blogs and give you some old man type advice.

Thanks Doug. I'm not the master at this either.

Mel, thanks. Your work has quite a bit of range too. I'm just older and I've done a lot of stuff.

Marco, just for fun I may finish these up in some form -- put them into some real world situation. You and Mark have given me a little push.

George, I only say nice things when I mean it. Check out George's work.

And, finally, if you haven't gone to Mark Reep's blog you're in for a real treat . . . take your time, don't give it a quick glance. I'm a real fan of his art and his writing.

3:27 PM  
Blogger Konstantin Pogorelov said...

Gnemo's world's atmosphere could lend itself to other ways of creating high pressure fields below the aircraft and low-pressure above it. They could have thechnology that does that in ways other than mechanics. magnets, ionizers, compressors, decompressors and so forth. theres could be areas of different pressure and chemical composition within the atmosphere. but I feel that in imaginary worlds thing work or dont work depending on how cool they look, and these look fantastic.

5:59 PM  
Blogger Leslie Sealey said...

Geez, leave for a day or two and look what happens-you have some amazing work on here!
*I LOVE the pizza delivery robot!

1:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home