Thursday, September 13, 2007

REJECTED!!!


I was working on a slideshow today and I decided that part of it might make for a nice blog entry. The above is from the original cover idea for what would become “Kiddography: The Art and Life of Tom Kidd.” It appeared in my bog before but without the cover flaps or back cover. This idea was, as the title indicates, firmly rejected. Even after the approach of the book was decided on I still had a second cover idea rejected and, if you’ve never seen it, here is a link to what the book actually looks like: KIDDOGRAPHY

I had two publishers interested in the book. One said the idea looked like an art book and they didn’t do art books; the other said it looked like an illustrated novel and they didn’t do illustrated novels. The book was to be a highly science fictionalized true story -- honest mendacity, and other contradictions. If you click on the pictures they should pop up big enough be able to read the text. For my own entertainment I'll finish "The Kidd Id" one day. Expect some more pages from this ill-fated book. Below is the back cover design:


After I show the two previous slides, this is the slide that follows (below):



If you've read this far down, please link over (at right) to Gnemo's Sketchbook and to my Photo blog for new stuff. Oh, and sorry to my blog friends for not being very friendly lately. I'm just about finished being overwhelmed and I'm now entering normalcy. It's been a tough summer.

13 Comments:

Blogger Jared Shear said...

Bummer Tom...I enjoy that top cover design, but then again I am just the lowly art book consumer.....nice to see you back in action, can't wait to see more.

10:19 AM  
Blogger Jared Shear said...

I checked out that link of what the book looks like now....I have to say I like that cover too, maybe even better. It's a bit lighter, and not quite as dark and heavy. It gives me sort of a that "Peter Pan" off to adventure and wild imagination feeling, which is always fun.

10:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forgive me if you're already aware of this, but you made a compendium of 9/11 foreshadowings with your cover of a Gardner Dozois anthology.

http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2007/09/september-11-premonitions.html

Paul Chadwick

4:04 PM  
Blogger tlchang said...

'Sorry for your overwhelmedness. Hope things level out for you now. I've missed seeing you on here.

3:06 AM  
Blogger goutwort said...

Those are some beautiful illustrations. Really impressive!

I hope your autumn goes better than your summer!

11:12 PM  
Blogger Albert Sorrentino Jr. said...

I hope things change for you! someone is bound to pick up the books!Autumn is here!! this brings good change! your talent is endless by the way ;)

1:45 PM  
Blogger Konstantin Pogorelov said...

Oh, Geez! The first time I saw your work, it was on the cover of Bud Plant and it impressed enough to make me study it for an hour and remember it forever. We are talking, of course, of the rejected cover no.2 (the justice lady).
P.S. Paul Chadwick LOL.

4:23 AM  
Blogger test said...

The Kidd Id cover illo is one of my favorites of yours. Great work, hope to see it come together someday!

11:42 AM  
Blogger trowbridge chronicles said...

Thought I would stop by and check out your blog again. It was interesting reading about how your book came about. I was also at your art for sale site, and it set me to wondering. I wonder if it would be worth offering my trowbridge art for sale on the blog. Can you sell enough art to make it worth the effort, I would wonder. I'm always looking for creative ways to turn a blog into income. It was nice to see your great work again.

1:38 AM  
Blogger Marcelo Vignali said...

Those are nice illustrations, but I think it was a good call on the book cover that was chosen. It looks more mysterious, and beckons one to come over and open it up. Whereas the rejected cover gives too much away.

I know it sounds weird, but that was my first impression.

12:38 AM  
Blogger william wray said...

Tom I like the new cover. It's got a nice simple frindly feeling. Easy to see curb appeal is a good thing.

11:01 PM  
Blogger Alexiev said...

Good...

Best wishes from Buenos Aires...

http://www.alexiev.com.ar
Alexiev Store

8:42 AM  
Blogger cindy said...

this is quite lovely stuff! hope thisngs are better for you in the new year.

4:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home